Saturday 14 April 2012

Digital Collage first tries


These are some images that I created using the photo editing software GIMP.


I compiled some found images from books and old photos, scanned in some interesting paper for textured grounds and other pieces and played around with them until i had got to grips with the software. I think they are quite interesting pieces.



 This below is taken from a black and white shot of my mother as a little girl, so carrying that sense of nostalgia that is topical in my project. My finesse with the software has yet to be developed as the lines are not as smooth as i would have liked them to be. 

decided to use this image again on a different background.the inside of an old purse makes for an interesting effect; it is almost 3d, and my mum is almost standing in it!


This image is also interesting in terms of backgrounds and foregrounds, the australian object seems to be both a part of the photo and separate from it. These initial attempts were inspired by the work of James Gallagher (below) who uses a random assortment of found aged papers. He creates an interesting vintage feel in his work which i think is thanks to the faded and aged papers he uses as grounds.
 

This final image is a more abstract use of digital collage, inspired more by the work of Agnes Montgomery than Gallagher with the random placement of objects rather than the use of texture. I'm not sure how well this image links to my project, but the experimentation definitely helped me develop my skills. I do think that using random objects within collage is something i should experiment with more as it adds to a surreal effect that i quite enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment